Friday 23 September 2011

Back to normal - please

My regular readers (Hello!) will remember that I started an exercise diary on the grounds that if I told everyone all about it I wouldn’t be able to stop. Sadly the fact that you haven’t heard anything recently isn’t because I thought the whole thing pretty uninteresting to write about (though it was), but because I have singularly failed to keep it up. I am still going to Pilates once a week (except when I, or my teacher, am on holiday), but I have failed to keep up the swimming, and the walking on holiday doesn’t count because, when the family is with me, I eat at least 3 meals a day, and often 4 (5 if there's elevenses and tea!), instead of the term time 2. Needless to say my waistline is looking tubby, even when I breathe in, and I’ve put on a couple more pounds over the summer.

I am trying to return to getting more exercise and eating more fruit and less alcohol now that everyone’s back at school. The fact that the routine is back will help I'm sure: lots of taxiing, helping in school, Pilates and Upholstery mean more rushing about and less time at home looking in the fridge, but in the meantime I’m holding my stomach in and sitting up straight in an effort to disguise the problem.


I am not thinking about middle aged spread. I’m not!

I think one of the problems with 'idling at home' is that formal clothing is rarely required, and jeans and a T-shirt hide a multitude of sins... I like wearing jeans and a T-shirt, but on the occasional day when a skirt is appropriate I find my waist is no longer present. Perhaps I should buy some low rise skirts to complement my low rise jeans? And, if I offload all my old suits from my long ago life, I won't know I can't get into them: perfect!


8 comments:

Hausfrau said...

Ha--I know how you feel! At least you sometimes go to Pilates, which is more than I can say for myself!

A Time for Stitching said...

It's not easy to keep up an exercise routine on your own. I used to go to the gym religiously for about 4 years and even when I stopped, I kept up exercising at home. Things have gone to pot in the last few months though and I'm finding it harder and harder to find the time, and when I do find the time I resent that I'm not sewing instead!!
Btw - thank your for your comment on my Guernsey post. I was going to reply but noticed that it was a no-reply address which probably means you haven't received any of my previous replies. I think you need to add an email address to your blogger settings to make replying possible (but I'm nor sure).
Teresa x

hausfrau said...

What prompt replies! I've been for a walk this morning with my artystudent friend so am feeling noble, just need to do it more often!

Sarah said...

I've gone right off skirts. I like trousers and dresses now. I think I've worn a skirt once this year and I would have preferred, on that occasion, to wear a dress.

I do find it hard now the boys are back to exercise. I have a mini trampoline in front of the tele, but I have to shoo them off to get access. Sometimes (mostly) I just can't be arsed...

Curry Queen said...

I have to FORCE myself to ride my exercise bike (if you are an old reader you will recall that I named it George Clooney to motivate myself. It didn't work.)

janicebotterill said...

I'm enjoying our river rambles - just the thing on a sunny September morning...now, I've figured out, we could, in theory, go swimming after I've done my duty on Monday - 9pm. We'll feel so much better....let me know...

like being artystudentfriend - maybe that's the name of my next blog!

hausfrau said...

Sarah, you're absolutely right to go for dresses: they give a much smoother line, and, unless you're trying for the Ad-men look, limited fit around the waistline!
Curry Queen, can you not watch a George Clooney film while you cycle? That just might make me exercise... but I don't own such a piece of equipment! On the rare occasions when I get on a bike I have to borrow Youngests. No family biking in this house: the other two don't ride at all.
Gosh, artystudentfriend, what a suggestion! But you're right: we'd feel ever so noble.. I will if you will.

Crayon said...

So nice to know we're all in such good company, isn't it?