Friday 17 September 2010

A little something for the weekend

I’ve had a very quiet week. I have idled away the time on my own. I have tootled around the blogosphere thinking how much more erudite and focused other people’s blogs are than mine, and generally wondered why I bother. But as you can see I am back anyway!

I have vacuumed the house. I have swept the floors. I have picked raspberries, blackberries, runner beans, purple French beans and courgettes at the allotment. I have bottled apricots.
And I have baked a banana and walnut loaf using a combination of recipes to produce a very pleasing result that Eldest has been taking to school in her lunchbox, and Husband and I have indulged with a cup of tea. (Youngest has been eating the wedding cake we brought home from that occasion which is much more to her taste.) So I thought I'd share it:

Banana and walnut loaf
4 ounces softened butter
8 ounces plain flour
6 ounces soft brown sugar
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 eggs
6 ounces toasted walnuts
2 mashed ripe bananas

Mix together all the ingredients except the banana and nuts which should be folded in once you have a smooth mixture. Turn into a 2lb loaf tin (I line mine with Lakeland loaf tin liner) and bake in the oven at 180°C until risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool and eat slices spread with butter.

I'm afraid recipes still come naturally in ounces...

5 comments:

janicebotterill said...

I haven't had breakfast yet - you're making me hungry!

Gill said...

The comment left on my blog about banana tart made me smile - perhaps not altogether sensible but more erudite than many!

diney said...

Sounds lovely - and I use ounces still too!

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Oooh, that looks and sounds gorgeous! Yes, am glad to see reassuring ounces, because I know roughly what they look like. Am also glad to see you don't put how long to cook - cakes tend to take as long as they take, I find.

Have copied out and will give it a whirl once our current lemon drizzle is finished...

hausfrau said...

I'm afraid it wasn't intentional LBD! An hour however can only be a rough guide as I rarely find that's long enough whatever the original recipe said...
Are you coming out of your hiding place? I hope so!